Over the last 12 years as a product marketing leader, I've taken products from cradle to scale at early-stage startups, scale-ups, and established tech companies. Founders, heads of marketing, and heads of sales count on me when they need strategic thought partnership and hands-on execution.
My strengths include building internal relationships, driving initiatives from A-to-Z, and quickly adapting to the needs of the business.
Whether I'm guiding a cross-functional team or acting as the sole getter-done of things, I take a very collaborative approach, ensuring we're aligned on what success looks like, collecting feedback early and often, and communicating every step of the way.
Key questions I can help answer
Growing pipeline and closing deals takes planning. You need to plot how you're going to take a potential buyer from unaware to closed-won. To accomplish that, I help startups methodically build and execute a marketing plan, which is made up of 6 key components.
Let's dive into each component. If you're looking for better answers to one or more of the questions below, we should at least have an intro chat.
1. Target audience
- How can you better define your target audience?
- What are their pains, priorities, and desired outcomes?
2. Positioning and messaging
- How can you speak to your audience's problems and worldview?
- How can you position yourself as a must-have painkiller vs. an optional vitamin?
- How can you reduce risk and friction around adopting your product?
3. Core content
- How can you build specific interest in your product vs. other competitors?
- What content strategy will hook unaware buyers and guide them along the purchase journey?
- How can you enter your audience's constellation of influencers and information sources?
- Does your audience have reasons to stay in your orbit?
- How can you to create pull for demo requests?
- How can you convert demos into sales?
- So you understand your customer's desired outcome(s) after the sale?
- Can you provide the tools and guidance your customers need to successfully onboard and take action?
How I can help
Product marketing is a critical part of any well oiled marketing engine. I can lead or help plan a scalable marketing plan from end to end. My range of capabilities include strategic planning and research, messaging and content creation, through to hands-on execution.
1. Research: Finding strong answers to the right questions
- Customer research (surveys/interviews)
- Win/loss/churn interviews
- Product-market fit interviews
- Messaging and positioning market feedback
- Competitor research
- Listening to and joining sales calls
- Developing a customer advisory board
- Developing buyer personas
- Product / user story research
- Researching / sizing new segments and markets
2. Strategy: Turning insights into actionable, repeatable growth plans
- Campaign planning and messaging
- Marketing funnel analysis
- Marketing budget estimation
- Product launch planning
- Sales enablement planning
- Social media planning
- Content planning
- Customer marketing planning
- Creating team alignment across Marketing, Sales, and Product
- Assessing talent needs
3. Execution: Getting things done. Fast.
- Company-level positioning and messaging
- Product positioning and messaging
- Use case messaging
- Industry messaging
- Core content development
- Thought leadership development
- Demand gen content
- SME-based whitepapers
- Web and email copywriting
- SEO articles
- Customer stories / case studies
- First call decks
- Pitch decks
- Product pitch decks
- Product 1-pagers
- Sales enablement assets
- Competitive battle cards
- You vs. ‘Competitor X’ sales enablement
- ROI/business case development
- Analyst relations
- Interviewing candidates